Welcome To J. Choate Basketry!
Jill Choate is a nationally renowned fiber artist and instructor known for her ability to “talk to the antler” and weave a vessel around it. Her pioneering efforts incorporating antler into basketry have brought her to the forefront in this venue of contemporary vessel construction.
Her efforts in basketry are as well known as are her stories about life in the Alaskan bush. Now based in the Northern Panhandle of Idaho, Jill continues the life of wild bush woman but tamed down a bit for the Lower-48.
Western Pleasure Basket Retreat 2015:Weavin' in the wild, wild, west!
We've had so much interest in attending WPBR (April 30-May 3) we've added a SECOND retreat (May 7-10). Currentl the first retreat is completely FULL, second retreat has FOUR openings left as of 12/8/14.
Come learn the secrets of antler basketry with Jill! Four days and three nights of hands on instruction at the Western Pleasure Guest Ranch in Sandpoint, ID, where basket weaving is JUST the beginning. Optional activities include horse back riding, horse drawn wagon rides, massage, and manicure/pedicure services. Weave up some beautiful basketry and give yourself a re-treat, you deserve it! For more information and to register: https://squareup.com/market/western-pleasure-basket-retreat
- In the works: patterns with instructional videos imbedded in the pattern. No more what does she mean by that? You can SEE it done by clicking on the video. Cool huh?
- Jennah comes back to baskets! Jennah and her partner Jonah (love a guy whose first name starts with J) have joined JChoateBasketry as we continue to grow our business.
- FACEBOOK group: JChoateBasketry GROUP-EZE members enjoy free patterns, instructional videos, and EXCLUSIVE sales. All you have to do is ask to be a part of it!
- FLOWER TOWER basket, a great way to add fresh flowers and baskets together Get yours on JCBasketry ONLINE MARKET
- Oval Melon Basket with twill handle, JCBasketry ONLINE MARKET
- WATCH-N-WEAVE, watch the video/weave the basket. Just added ANTLER BASKETRY, currently includes Antler Wall Pocket, Antler Skep, and INDIAN BLANKET.
- What our customers are saying....
"Jill I wove the medium backpack today, can't wait to put the beautiful straps on it, I love how it turned out, thank you", S. Owens, of MA.
"The bike basket arrived! I love the bike lining. Haven't tried it on boudacia as yet, but I will and post a picture. She will be the hit of the farmer's market this summer! Thank YOU!", L. West of WA
"I am a big fan of you and your bike shoppers", D. Benedict
"Etsy needs a "blew my mind" button, because the green "positive" just isn't enough. This basket is BEAUTIFUL, and I'm so grateful it's signed on the bottom, because it's a work of art, and I will treasure it. Thank you for sharing your talent Jill!", Anne
"Everything about this transaction was amazing. Thanks for making my bike basket dreams come true! Its stunning!", Kiki
"Adirondack backpack is as depicted in the pictures…well actually I lied, IT'S EVEN BETTER! Ha was a smooth transaction, finely crafted and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for this lovely piece.", W. Smiley of VA