Congrats! Your now over the fear of weaving twill baskets. In case you missed the twill primer (or you need a refresher) click here.
So, your ready to design twill on your own baskets hurray! The first thing you need to know is how to count. Let's go back to that Twill Backpack pattern. This pattern is also used on the Twill Bike Basket as well.
Here's the diagram and here's what we want it to look like when we are finished.
Remember I said you have to learn to count. So we're going to magnify one portion of this diagram and count how many actual stakes it takes to create it.
When counting this out you'll find that this pattern takes 12 stakes to accomplish. So I need to know how many stakes I need in my basket for this design to work. Let's say your stake of choice is 1/4" flat/oval (and it needs to be something small). That would mean that you'd need the following:
- 12 X 12 repetitions of the design = 144 stakes for this pattern to work around the basket using start/stop weaving.
Double Walled Technique:
- In my case I use a double wall technique for the twill design. Therefore I need to make sure that whatever material I use for the inner wall of weaving will easily house the 1/4" flat/oval that is going to be woven as the outer wall of weaving.
- For ease that leaves me two choices either 1/2" flat or 3/4" flat reed.
- Using 1/2" flat reed means that I can house quantity 2 of the 1/4" flat/oval on each of the stakes of the outer wall.
- Using 3/4" flat reed means that I can house quantity 3 of the 1/4" flat/oval on each of the stakes of the outer wall.
Back to the Math:
- So I know that my design requires 12 stakes. I need to make sure that the inner wall stakes will house the correct amount of outer stakes to make the design happen.
- In the case of the twill bike basket that means 36 stakes. 36 X 3 = 108. The inner wall will now house the necessary stakes required by the outer wall for this design.
- The design is in multiples of 12. 12 X 9 repetitions of the pattern = 108. The outer wall will now house the necessary stakes required for this design.
So now it's time to weave up your next twill basket! In case you want to make it easy on yourself here's some great kits to practice your twill abilities on:
- Twill Backpack
- Twill Bike Basket
Aurora Twill Mountain Tote
- Tear Drop Twill Tote
DON'T FORGET: the FLASH SALE is going on til the select kits are GONE. CLICK HERE to find out how you can save 32% OFF.
Leave a comment